What's in a WORD!...
1. WORD! is a registered voluntary organisation, operating the longest running poetry and spoken word night in the Midlands, nominated as one of the top five spoken word nights in the UK, in 2017. As of May 31st 2018 our main WORD! event will take place at Attenborough Arts Centre on the last Thursday of each month.
2. Our regular WORD! night features two halves of open mic. Each half is headlined by a booked act.
3. If you want to perform on the open mic - email Lydia Towsey via email@example.com in advance to book your slot. Some slots will also be available on the night - arrive for 6.30pm and sign up with the compere in the Attenborough Arts Centre cafe/bar. Please be aware that the list often fills very quickly.
4. The night kicks off at 7.30pm. The interval’s around 8.30pm. We’re done by 9.30pm.
5. We love you. We love your work. Your ORIGINAL work...leave the Keats and Hegley for the interval and read your own poetry or spoken word over the mic.
6. Slots are maximum of 3 minutes each, including introductions.
7. For reasons of continuity WORD! is presented by a small and devout band of poet comperes. These are: Lydia Towsey, Tim Sayers and Pam Thompson. Like crops, we work on rotation.
The evening commences at 7.30pm and consists of an open mic and booked act. In the first half there are 6 open mic slots of 3 mins each, followed by a booked act, performing for 10 minutes. After a 15 minute interval there are 6 more slots. A booked artist of national sometimes international standing closes the evening, performing for around 25 minutes at around 10pm. The evening concludes around 9.30pm